Sunday

Hat Care and Information 101

1. How do I know if my Hat will fit?

Hats will very in size and depending on the style of the hat, a lot of vintage hats either sit on the top or even on the back side of the head, and are often fastened in place by a hat pin. Cloche hats which fit over the whole head are measured by the inside perimeter of the hat. I've noticed that even on some hats that meant to fit high on the head or over the entire head, I was able to wear them in my own unique way and style my hair around the hat I like. So don't get discouraged if you love a hat and are not quite sure if it will fit.

2. What does the measurement of the hat mean?

The measurement or often "size" of the hat is a measurement of the perimeter of the inside of the hat. These measurements would count as the size of the cranium from the front of the forehead to the back also know as the perimeter. Often the sizes can run from 19" around to 22.5" around. But don't get discouraged if you don't think it will fit. Sometimes depending on the style and how the hat is made you can steam them and this can help the hat shape for a better fit.

3. Is there a safe way to clean my hat?

A great way to re-shape a hat or make the flowers or ribbon look fresh and new is to steam the hats. The way that I found is the easiest, is to put a pot with some water about 3" deep on the stove and boil. I place a mesh colander over the pot facing with the bottom up, creating a dome shape. Then once the steam is flowing through the colander (strainer) I place the hat on top just for a minute or so depending on the how much the hat need to be reshaped. Then take the hat off and shape it with either your fingers or by carefully placing on your head to shape it. BE EXTRA CAREFUL because it can be hot. You can repeat this a few times and if its still not exactly right, let the hat cool and try again. Also you can flip the hat over and hold it over to steam any accessories. Please use your best judgment with this, All hats are different and unique so be careful and mindful of the type of fabrics that they are made out of. You can also check with your local dry cleaner to see if they can clean it as well. I would not do this with suede style and or leather type hats, etc.

4. My hat smells like smoke, Is there anything I can do?

Lots of people in the 20's through the 70 (even today) smoked. If your hat has a smell of smoke, or just has a smell you don't care for, you can use the method above for cleaning hats, by steaming them out, but ADD some White Vinegar to the water in the pot and that will help the smell come out.

Also another method would be to put the hat in an enclosed area with a paper towel spritzed with Febreze, I've heard from others that this works, but the first method worked best for me. If you find any other ways please email me and I can post them for others.

5. Will sunlight fade or ruin my hat on display?

If you are hanging your hat on the wall, do be sure its not in a place where it gets direct sunlight throughout the day. Like any kind of material vintage hats are subject to fading. Also, because they are vintage they are one of a kind, so be mindful of where you display them or set them for decoration where they won't get spilled on, crushed or torn.